The group’s architectural design team Bjarke Ingels (BIG) recently completed the extension of the historic premises of Swiss watchmaker Audemars Piguet. Located next to the historic house where Louis Audemars and Edward Auguste Piguet set up their workshop in 1875, the Danish architectural firm has created a contemporary spiral that rises from the ground. Today, this space is a museum that celebrates the watchmaker’s most innovative models and allows the public to come into contact with the craftsmen who create them.
Located in a remote valley in the Swiss Jura, the museum was entrusted to BIG in 2014 when its design won an architectural competition. The floor-to-ceiling windows offer panoramic views of the valley. From the materials used for the extraordinary views to the internal heating methods, the building fits harmoniously into the local environment, which it wants to celebrate with art.