Built as the Museum of Manufactures in 1852 then renamed in honor of Queen Victoria and her husband in 1899, the Victoria and Albert Museum evolved across time and is still reinventing itself today. The famous museum of art and design was given a new entrance thanks to an ambitious and creative project by architect Amande Levete from AL_A. Visitors now enter through the sackler courtyard paved by 11 000 porcelaine tiles made by Koninklijke Tichelaar Makkum. Glass constructions allow the underground gallery to be visible while respecting the historical aspect of the building. A great balance between the beauty of modern design and the celebration of the museum’s history.
All images : courtesy of Hufton+Crow